April 5, 2013

Demystifying the Boogie Man

We were sitting at snack time socializing the other day (I love this time) and I brought up the subject about waking up our mommies and daddies at night and crying.  This conversation went on for quite some time, but one conversation stuck out and that was the explanation of a 3 year old little boy. He said, "I wake up at night and I hear noises.  I'm scared so if I cry real loud, my mommy will let me sleep with her".  I used this time to talk about what we all thought he heard and how can we all not be scared.  One 4 year old explained that one time she saw a glimpse of a movie that had monsters and she was really scared wanting to know if monsters were real.  That's when I had an idea.  I have a parent that works in the costume design, working with molds, creating costumes like the Preditor, and so much more.  I had seen his work a couple years back and wow, they are so cool.  But what a great way for the kids to get up close and personal with what they see on on tv, or in our case, demystifying the boogie man.  Check out our blog and please comment and share what you think below.
 Daddy David pulls out a mold and explains how he made it from plaster, his face, vasoline, cardboard, and the entire process of design.  The kids were so intrigued. 
 He showed how plumbers putty from Home Depot could be molded to look like a tooth or claw.
He passed it around and let them feel the pass the stinky liquid rubber pieces. 
Check out the little ones holding their noses.
He brought out his supplies, explaining what everything was.  He showed them a jaw on a piece of wood, how a traditional white glove was converted into a monster claw.  Each step, allowing the kids to touch, pass around, feel, try on and fall in love with the excitement of how these monsters were created.
He started out with a less intimidating mask, explaining each step of how it was made and then he brought out the big very scary mask.
He explained every single detail and what things he used to make it.  The hair (material made for couches, the jewelry from pool noodles, the fur from material, a bottle cap from a his son's juice container and more).  He explained about how paint changed the look too.
The kids touched it, felt it, squeezed it, saw it reversed to see the sponges inside it and then, he put it on, giving them all a little start.  He then made them laugh saying stuff like, "I had to make this with an opening or else I'd faint and can't breathe (faking a faint and making them all laugh)"  The best part is when he asked does anyone want to hold it or try it on and yes, they all did.
The kids couldn't get enough of this "show-and-tell" by daddy David.  They all were demystified and hopefully will feel more at ease when they accidently get glimpses of scary movies.  I hope they all tell their parents, "don't worry, that's not real.  It's only a costume".  I did this with my son when he was 3 and now at age 20, he loves acting and theater.  Such a fun way and hands on approach to teaching kids about life and what it's all made up to be.  
Thank you daddy David for taking the time from your busy schedule and sharing your love of your career with PattyKakesKidz.

No comments:

Post a Comment