August 31, 2012

Ice Learning Center

When I put together a learning center, I sometimes imagine what a parent thinks.  For instance, I had this set up one morning:
To some, it appears as a big block of frozen water with toys frozen inside.  What I see is an opportunity to share and explore science with preschoolers and give them time to experience a hands-on activity.  They will study the physical properties of ice being melted with salt water, colored with food coloring (for visual purposes). Preschoolers can predict, experiment, explore interactions with solids and liquids and engage in conversations with each other.  All this from just a block of frozen water and toys. 
Preschool Science is a beautiful thing.   We are just scratching the surface of science with these little ones.  If I can inspire just one child, then bring on the oooey gooey science experiments.
More to come with PattyKakesKidz

1 comment: