November 18, 2011

PVC Play

Toys and Play do not have to be elaborate, expensive or widely advertised. After a day at the local Children's Discovery Museum, we attempted to reinvent the PVC play they had in one of their centers.
IT WAS A HIT!

Overnight, I left these 12 inch and 18 inch PVC pipes on the table, along with misc. connectors. The children arrived in the morning, and they were so excited to engage in these materials. Immediately they began to explore and discover new ideas. At first, each child took a few and explored alone.  Then as time went by, they discovered that working as a team, they could accomplish more.  They engaged in dialogue, decision making, team building, fine motor skills and more. There was shape making, letter making and then how long could they make the connections hold.  The children all decided it would be great if it could follow us outside into the sandbox and then a whole new play began.



 I think this E is backwards.
 Team work.
 M is for mama!

 This is some serious work.




Look how long we  built this together.







Just concentrate!













Put the connector here and it creates a bend.










Now for the exploration we had outdoors in our 10X10 sandbox.



























 






As we search the depths to find the most innovative toys for our children, remember they may be right in your very own home.
From our home to yours, PattyKakesKidz


2 comments:

  1. I have to comment on my own blog. Tho it seems simple enough, lots of thought and prep work was put into this play center. I bought pvc pipes at Home Depot which stuck out of my van on the way home. My dad had to pull out the skill saw and measuring tape to measure and cut all these pipes. I had to wipe each piece down just incase it had any chemicals on it. I displayed it indoors, then brought it outdoors for the outdoor play time. I helped the kids discover ways to prop it in the sandbox. Take over 100 pics and continue to clean up the sand that enters our home daily from the sandbox. The children didn't want me to put it away for over a week. Now that the weekend is here, I will clean up and find all the pieces so this can be enjoyed another day. I love these little guys so much and all the work that goes into these presumably simple ideas is just so worth it. I love my job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a creative idea! The kids look like their having a blast learning. So thankful for you, Patty!

    ReplyDelete